There are many areas of specialization for lawyers, each one quite different from the rest. Legal matters can be serious and choosing the right type of lawyer can greatly influence the results that you obtain. We can categorize them under three main specializations:
- Family Law
Family law specialized lawyers relates to the issues surrounding families and family matters. Family lawyers work with marriages, divorces, child custody, child support, etc. These lawyers also handle controversial issues such as gay marriage and domestic partnerships. They also take disputes such as settlements on family properties and inheritance discussions.
- Criminal Law
Criminal law specialized lawyers deals with the serious issues of crime and punishment. They handle cases that range from simple Driving Under Influence cases to murder trials. The range is quite wide, and some lawyers may choose to work for the government as a prosecuting attorney, or as a private criminal defense lawyer.
- Civil Law
Civil law specialized lawyers handles disputes between two private parties, as opposed to criminal law, which is between individuals and government jurisdictions. These are the lawyers that attend to case against private entities and companies.
To obtain the best legal representation available, some lawyers have chosen to take a more defined legal jurisdiction, creating a long list of specialized lawyers. Below is the list of some that you may find available for hire.
Auto Accident Lawyer
Car Accident Lawyer
Driving Under Influence (DUI) Lawyer
Driving While Intoxicated (DWI)Lawyer
Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Nursing Home Lawyer
Personal Injury Lawyer
Social Security Lawyer
Wrongful Death Lawyer
These specializations are being taken after the formal legal education. Most often, lawyers decide on their field of specialty a few years after they have practiced their craft. Post-graduate programs are available to certify these specialties.
For a list of institutions which may offer law scholarships, you may check out the following African scholarships:
- ACCES scholarship program
- Africa Educational Trust Undergraduate International Outreach Bursaries
- African Graduate Scholarships in International Health and Development
- Africa Scholarship Scheme
- Associated Board International Scholarships
- Developing Countries Scholarships – CUD Scholarship Program
- Global Online Distance Learning Scholarships for Africans and Asians at University of Edinbrugh
- International Undergraduate Student Scholarships
- Kenya Merit Undergraduate Scholarship – The University of Sheffield
- Kenya University Chancellor’s Scholarship
- Nigeria University Scholarship Scheme
- OPEC Fund Scholarship Award
- Refugee and Asylum Seeker Scholarships
- Shell Nigeria University Scholarship Awards
- The Kenya Youth Education Scholarship Fund
- Undergraduate & Master’s Mandela Rhodes Scholarships in Africa
- Undergraduate Scholarships for International Students
- Undergraduate Scholarships for Kenyan Students
- University Graduate School Development Trust Africa Scholarships
- University Of Nairobi Scholarships
- Working to Advance African Women Foundation Scholarship
- Youth Education Scheme Scholarship