There are two important examinations in legal education that needs preparation. One is the admission examination to the law school, which will determine which type of program one can qualify for. The second and most important examination is the bar exam. This is the examination that will grant permission by a particular court system to a lawyer to practice law in that system.
In the Unites States, there is a standardized admission examination called Law School Admission Test. This is a test taken by aspiring lawyers before they can even take up legal education. Meanwhile, the US Bar Examination is administered by agencies of individual states twice a year as the last Wednesday in July and the last Wednesday in February. In the Canada, aspirants are also required to take a standardized admission examination called Law School Admission Test. The Bar Examination is administered by the Canadian Bar Association three times each year in May/June, November and March.
In Asia, particularly in the Philippines, admission examination to take legal education is offered at any school of choice. The Bar Examination is administered by the Supreme Court of the Philippines, once every year during the four Sundays of September. In Malaysia, admission examination to take legal education is also offered at any school of choice. Meanwhile, the Bar Examination is administered by the Legal Profession Qualifying Board of Malaysia every July of each year. Japan has a standardized admission examination to take legal education. It is called Examination for Japanese University Admission. The Japanese Federation of Bar Associations administers the Bar Examination. The first stage, in May, consist of 60 multiple choice questions regarding constitutional law, civil law and criminal law. The second stage, in July, consist of twelve essay questions regarding constitutional law, civil law, criminal law, commercial law, civil procedure law and criminal procedure law. The final stage, in October, is an oral examination regarding constitutional law, civil law, criminal law, civil procedure law and criminal procedure law.
In South Africa, admission examination to take legal education is offered at any school of choice. Meanwhile, the Bar Examination is administered by the General Council of the Bar of South Africa every October of each year.
For a list of institutions which may offer law scholarships, you may check out the following African scholarships:
- ACCES scholarship program
- Africa Educational Trust Undergraduate International Outreach Bursaries
- African Graduate Scholarships in International Health and Development
- Africa Scholarship Scheme
- Associated Board International Scholarships
- Developing Countries Scholarships – CUD Scholarship Program
- Global Online Distance Learning Scholarships for Africans and Asians at University of Edinbrugh
- International Undergraduate Student Scholarships
- Kenya Merit Undergraduate Scholarship – The University of Sheffield
- Kenya University Chancellor’s Scholarship
- Nigeria University Scholarship Scheme
- OPEC Fund Scholarship Award
- Refugee and Asylum Seeker Scholarships
- Shell Nigeria University Scholarship Awards
- The Kenya Youth Education Scholarship Fund
- Undergraduate & Master’s Mandela Rhodes Scholarships in Africa
- Undergraduate Scholarships for International Students
- Undergraduate Scholarships for Kenyan Students
- University Graduate School Development Trust Africa Scholarships
- University Of Nairobi Scholarships
- Working to Advance African Women Foundation Scholarship
- Youth Education Scheme Scholarship